Saturday, October 13, 2007

Memories....and Acceptance.

I took a moment this afternoon and wandered around my backyard. My original intent was to find some nice October shots...but alas....I found none to my satisfaction. The leaves just weren't yellow and orange enough yet. I'll give them another week or two then they'll be absolutely gorgeous.

There was a sentimental moment...... while looking at my birdbath and having fond thoughts of my mother, who passed away a little over two years ago. This birdbath isn't really my kind of style, but as Mom and I were browsing through a local garden pottery shop she spotted this beauty. She was sure it would be perfect for a little shaded corner of my yard. I was looking for a clay oven for my back patio in anticipation of a simple, quiet evening outside by a fire, while Mom purchased the birdbath as a early birthday present for me. We ended up bringing both items home and placing each in their current locations.

I've enjoyed many an evening outside with my clay oven, but have almost completely ignored the birdbath. I didn't have the heart to tell Mom I wasn't all that enchanted with it. As you can see....it has begun to weather and blend with it's setting. I do believe this little birdbath is growing on me. As I stood there looking at it...I began to envision what it will look like when the ivy begins to climb up the base of it. The ivy...was also an idea of Moms. I've grown used to the funny little birds, frogs and flowers....they don't seem quite so ridiculous anymore.

I think I learned a simple lesson on this mid-October day....


2 comments:

Jim Thomsen said...

That birdbath will look MUCH better once it's braided with ivy. Back East, they use red-leaf Virginia creeper vines to get the same effect on fences, walls and trellises. It really adds a nice homey, earthy touch.

Roxy said...

Ya...I'm going to start training the ivy to climb the birdbath this fall.. the ivy will definitely soften the look of it.

I'v contemplated putting potting soil in the birdbath and planting flowers that would cascade out of it. Could be very pretty.